State Fire Marshal's Office

State Fire Marshal Charles M. Duffy

Captain Monica Alexander
Government and Media Relations
(360) 596-4010 – office
(360) 596-4015 – fax

*** For Immediate Release***

Date: July 1, 2016
Contact: Deputy State Fire Marshal Lysandra Davis
Phone: (360) 596-3929
Twitter: @wafiremarshal

Fireworks and Calling 911; When is it Appropriate?

Every year around the Fourth of July, 911 operators are inundated with calls regarding fireworks. The majority of these calls are non-emergency related, but tie up the 911 system, potentially delaying an emergency call from getting through.

The chart below has been produced with input from a number of Emergency Dispatch Centers and should be used as a guide when determining to call 911 regarding fireworks.

Who do you call to report illegal fireworks or suspicious activities involving fireworks?


Incident or Question? Call 9-1-1? If not a call to 9-1-1 who should I call?
Are fireworks legal within the city or county I live in? No Fireworks inquiries can be answered by calling local police or fire department's non-emergency phone numbers.
I want to report fireworks violations:
  • Being used in a fireworks ban area
  • Time of use (after 11:00 p.m. and before 9:00 a.m.)
No Fireworks violations may be reported by calling the police department's non-emergency phone number.
I have a firework related injury from using fireworks, example:
  • Burns
  • Injury to eye
  • Severed body parts
Call 9-1-1
A fire has started from the use of fireworks; what do I do? YES -
Call 9-1-1
The neighbor is using illegal fireworks (M-80's) YES -
Call 9-1-1
Or, You can call local police department's non-emergency phone number.
Where can I get a Fireworks Stand License? No Call the Office of the State Fire Marshal at (360) 596-3913 or check the Internet.
How do I get rid of old fireworks (consumer)? No Call the local police or fire department's non-emergency phone number.
I have found a short piece of pipe with a fuse coming out of it. YES -
Call 9-1-1
IMPORTANT - Leave the device where it is and do not pick it up!
There is a storage container at the neighbor's house loaded with fireworks. No Call local fire department's non-emergency phone number.
My next door neighbor is making fireworks in his garage.

Call 9-1-1

Calling 9-1-1: Reporting illegal activities or use of fireworks to 9-1-1 should be limited to those instances when the activity is in progress and poses a threat or danger to others or yourself.

Remember the 3 B's of Fireworks:

The Office of the State Fire Marshal is a Bureau of the Washington State Patrol, providing fire and life safety services to the citizens
of Washington State including inspections of state licensed facilities, plan review of school construction projects, licensing of fire
sprinkler contractors and pyrotechnic operators, training Washington States firefighters, and collecting emergency response data.


Prevent Fires Logo