• Where can I find information about the new Intrastate DOT Number requirements?

    An informational brochure is available by clicking here. Online registration and assistance is available on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website.

  • How much can I haul?

    An axle spacing chart can be found in RCW 46.44.041.

  • What are the hours of travel for oversize vehicles on weekends?

    Travel during the weekend is the same as during the week, except there are no commuter hours through the major metropolitan areas.

  • How do I find out more about the Unified Carrier Registration program?

    Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) program replaced the Single State Registration (SSRS) program. To register, please visit the Unified Carrier Registration site.

    If you have questions, please contact the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission at (360) 664-1222 or via e-mail at

  • What loads can travel during hours of darkness?

    For more information see Special Motor Vehicle Permit Regulations and Conditions.

  • What do I need to enter the state of Washington?

    • Vehicle Licensing, permits
    • Fuel license (IFTA)
    • Single State Registration (if for hire)

  • When am I required to have a CDL?

    • Class B – Single vehicle with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating over 26,001 pounds
    • Class A – If trailer is over 10,000 pounds and combination is over 26,001 pounds
    • Class C – Weight limitations are less than above and the vehicle is loaded with Hazardous Materials or over 16 passengers, including driver

    Note: The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the GVWR as specified by manufacturer located on vehicle driver’s door post.

    For more information on how to obtain a CDL please visit the Department of Licensing web site.

  • What size trucks have to report to the scale?

    Trucks with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of more than 16,001 pounds.

  • Can I come to the Port of Entry to get my permit?

    No. Please see our locations and phone numbers directory for obtaining permits.

  • Can I get a permit over the phone?

    You can get a permit faxed from the following locations before entering the state:
    • Washington State Department of Transportation – (360) 704-6340, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
    • Washington Trucking Association – (800) 732-9019, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
    • Permit Express – (800) 553-5358, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
    • Transceiver – (800) 749-6015, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday

  • Are Ports of Entry open on weekends?


  • Where can I buy temporary licensing not Trip Permits?

    For information regarding commercial vehicle permits, please see the Washington State Department of Licensing, Permits: Commercial Vehicles.

  • When is an escort car required?

    Please contact WSDOT to access all requirements for pilot cars.

    For more information see Special Motor Vehicle Permit Regulations and Conditions.

  • What are the permit prices?

    Please use the link below to access costs and requirements for special permits.

  • What are the legal height width and length for CMV’s?

    • Height: 14 feet
    • Width: 8 ft. 6 in.
    • Length: Single Vehicle – 40 feet (Auto Stage, Motor home 46 feet)
    • Semi Trailer – 53 feet (Can purchase permit to 56 feet)
    • Double Trailers – 61 feet (Can purchase permit to 68 feet)
    • Truck and Trailer – 75 feet
    • Auto/Boat Transporter – 75 feet (plus 3-foot overhang and 4-foot rear overhang) (stinger steered)

  • Are you open 24 hours?

    Yes. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. However, Ports of Entry are closed New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and the day after, and Christmas.