MECTF · Missing & Exploited Children Task Force
The Missing & Exploited Children Task Force (MECTF) is a multi-agency task force focused on identifying, arresting and convicting those individuals who exploit children. Crimes investigated by MECTF include:
- Communication with a minor for immoral purposes
- Sexual exploitation of a minor
- Possession of depictions of minors engaged in sexually explicit conduct
- Dealing in depictions of minor engaged in sexually explicit conduct
What can MECTF do for me?
- MECTF is available to provide on-site assistance, case management, and training.
- MECTF works closely with Federal, State, and Local agencies to accomplish it’s mission.
- MECTF is available to assist agencies that do not have the resources or training necessary to investigate crimes against children.
What is child sexual exploitation?
Child exploitation includes the following:
- Possession, Manufacture, and Distribution of Child Pornography
- Enticement of Children for Sexual Acts
- Child Prostitution
- Child Sex Tourism
- Child Sexual Molestation
How big of a problem is child exploitation?
The sexual victimization of children is overwhelming in magnitude yet largely unrecognized and underreported. Research indicates that 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 10 boys will be sexually victimized before adulthood.*
*Provided courtesy of National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Tips for Parents:
- Know where your children are at all times
- Know your children’s friends, their parents, addresses, and all phone numbers
- Be alert to teens and/or other adults over-interested in your children
- Teach your children to trust their feelings - it’s okay to say NO
- Be careful when choosing providers for your children
- Be involved and spend time with your children when they are online
- Never give out personal information in chat rooms or forums
- Tell your children to let you know when they receive obscene or suggestive messages
Washington State Patrol - MECTF
Investigative Assistance Division
PO Box 2347
Olympia WA 98507-2347
Phone: (360) 704-2410
Fax: (360) 704-2973
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children: www.ncmec.org